WHAT IS A SHINGLE? The term shingle is used in the building industry for a thin piece of building material, usually rectangular in shape, used in overlapping rows to cover the roof or sides of a building. The overlapping rows are laid in a manner starting from the bottom edge of the roof up, with each successive row overlapping the joints below.
- 1 DIFFERENT DESIGNS OF ASPHALT SHINGLES:
- 2 WOOD SHINGLES:
- 3 TYPE OF WOOD USED AS A ROOF SHINGLE
- 4 WHAT DOES A WOOD SHINGLE LOOK LIKE
- 5 WOOD SHINGLE VERSUS WOOD SHAK
- 6 WOOD SHINGLE VERSUS ASPHALT SHINGLES
- 7 THE USE OF METAL AS A ROOFING MATERIAL IN HISTORIC BUILDINGS:
DIFFERENT DESIGNS OF ASPHALT SHINGLES:
The asphalt shingles are available in two different designs
- Architectural also known as Dimensional shingles These are thicker and stronger, comes in different shapes , sizes and colors and are most commonly used because of their aesthetic appeal .The architect can use them to make a roof that looks similar to the traditional roofs made of wood or slate .The vast variety of color available makes it possible to match the roof with the rest of the building or the surroundings .These shingles might cost a little more but in the long run proves better as they come with a warranty of up to fifty years and also add to the face value of the house and hence a raised resale price.
- 3-Tab shingles These shingles are flat with uniform shape and size, they are thin having less material which makes them easy to install and therefore less costly .They are mainly used in low value homes like those made for rent purpose and they do not come with long manufacturer warranty as compared to architectural shingles and this is the reason they are not a favorable choice.
Roofing Plymouth Michigan
Wood has been used since time immemorial in the construction of a house and it proves its value in a number of ways like aesthetics and being environment friendly .With the passage of time and increasing trend of deforestation the wood has become an expensive commodity and used less for the purpose.
What is the difference between a wood shak and a wood shingle?
A wood shak is obtained by simply splitting a log into flat sheets
TYPE OF WOOD USED AS A ROOF SHINGLE
Basically the wood used should be easily available and should have a natural tendency to resist rot. Cedar is one such type, although all the types available like the red, white or yellow cedar ,pine ,red wood or cypress can be used but the most favorable one is the red cedar because of its properties of lasting as long as five decades if it is properly taken care of. The wood shingles need special treatment to make them resistant to fire and decay before installation and also yearly maintenance to wash any rot that might have developed.
WHAT DOES A WOOD SHINGLE LOOK LIKE
The wood is cut into thin sheets which taper at one end. Straight grained and free of bolts pieces of wood is considered appropriate and easy to be cut into the required shape.
WOOD SHINGLE VERSUS WOOD SHAK
Wood shakes are cut with hands with special tools ,are thicker than shingles ,they have un even surface on both sides .Wood shingles are made with machine , are thin and has smooth surfaces A Layer of felt is placed under the shakes to help them get dry quickly after rain
WOOD SHINGLE VERSUS ASPHALT SHINGLES
- Cost comparison:The cost comparison Wood shingles are costlier than the asphalt shingles. The difference can amount to as high as twice that of asphalt shingles.
- Eco friendliness:The wood shingle is eco friendly as it does not have petroleum base substances, gets biodegraded earlier than asphalt which takes many years to degrade and comes from a sustainable resource as more trees are grown to replenish the trees used for their production
- Resistance to harsh weathers:Wood shingles prove to be sturdier to face gushing winds, strong rains, hail and snow as compares to asphalt roofs.
- Maintenance:Wooden shingles need more care in the form of treatment for mold sealing against water or fire resistant sprays. Asphalt roofs are low maintenance, are cheap and easily replaceable.
- METAL ROOFS:Metal is considered one of the oldest materials used for roofing in the world history. Different metals are used for this purpose namely copper, zinc and steel alloys.
THE USE OF METAL AS A ROOFING MATERIAL IN HISTORIC BUILDINGS:
Metal roofs especially that of copper are seen in century old buildings around the world. These includes Lovamahapays Temple in Sri Lanka in the third century B.C, The Pantheon in Rome in twenty seven century BC, St. Mary’s Cathedral, Hildesheim in 1208 A.D
- As the history has proven metal roofs can last for centuries and this is the reason why they are cheap as compared to other types of shingles and also the manufacturer offers warranty up to 50 yrs.
- Metal is almost completely recycled hence is environment friendly.
- It can bring down the energy costs many fold as it is a good insulator and reflects the heat away from the building.
- The light weight of the metal roof proves them to have reduced stress on the support structures of the roofs. This quality makes it ideal for being used for large and old structures which cannot bear too much weight
- The rain falling on a tin roof can be music to some ears but can be irritating for some.
- The metal roof cannot bear the brunt of a strong hail storm which can leave its marks in the form of dents on the roof surface.
- The metal roof cannot hold the snow which slides easily on it and can fall on an unaware pedestrian.
The earliest types of metal roofs were in the form of corrugated sheets, made from galvanized steel. These sheets are then coated with zinc. Other metals that can be used for making galvanized sheets with wrought iron are zinc, Aluminum and silicon.
WHICH IS THE BEST METAL TO BE USED FOR ROOFING
Copper is by far the most appropriate metal for the construction of a roof because it is corrosion resistant, has radio frequency shielding qualities, protects from damage by lightning and is also the most durable of all.
We are a home improvement contractor that services the Plymouth Michigan and surrounding areas. We offer all sorts of services related to home improvement and we are completely licensed and insured to handle your home improvement project. Learn more about us here or request an estimate.